Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Blog #5 Voicethread

I think voice thread is a nice idea and something I could see myself using in the classroom. I think it can increase the students' uptake. One way is if the teacher posts the first comment using L+1 language. This way, the students will have to listen many times and hopefully look up a few words up in order to respond appropriately. There could even be comprehension questions coupled with the listening assignment. When it's the students' turn to respond, I would let them work in partners for their first one. This way, they could figure out the logistics together and would not have all of the responsibility, which would hopefully reduce output anxiety.



After the first run through, when it's time for the students to post the initial thread, I would make it like a contest, so they would experiment with the language. I would let them work in partners and challenge them to use language that their classmates will have to look up. I would not use it as an accuracy lesson or a pronunciation lesson. I would have them focus on fluency and using new vocabulary.

2 comments:

  1. This software does seem to be conducive to pair/group work. I had not considered using this as a "team" or "challenge" activity--food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that pair-work for the first time using Voicethread would be a good way to reduce affect and output anxiety, as some students may be less experienced than others in using such programs.

    ReplyDelete