Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Blog #2 Reading Matrix

The Reading Matrix has many great resources for students ranging from young beginners to advanced adult learners. All of the readings are interactive and some of the beginner stories are animated, which is fun for younger readers. For the purpose of this assignment, I am going to focus on the section labeled Reading Comprehension Advanced. In this section, there is a CNN web page. It has multiple articles from many different themes and there are three versions of every article: an outline, a short version, and the whole article. The teacher could use the outline as schema activation and get the class discussing what the article is going to be about. Then the students could read the short version and think of questions they are left with. Finally, they could read the whole article. Each article is also accompanied with activities including multiple choice quizzes to check for comprehension and vocabulary work. These could be used as post reading activities. All in all, I think it's a great online reading resource!

5 comments:

  1. I love the options presented with the stories--recreate the story, gap-filling exercise, etc. I'm slapping crazy bookmarks on this site yo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the authentic and interactive element of a broad variety of topis that the site provides. The different versions of the same story and the activities that accompany the readings for comprehension and vocabulary development give teachers a wide variety of options they can apply in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This also can be a great tool for modeling how to outline and summarize longer texts. Great resource.

    Please tweet a link to this site (or you could tweet a link to your blog post)with a brief description followed by #ESL and #MATESOL at the end of the post.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Glad I could help with your crazy bookmark slapping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I already did do a tweet to this site with the MATESOL tag. I'll have to ask about it in class. Maybe I am doing it wrong. I feel pretty comfortable with the blog and with delicious, but the tweeter site throws me off. Plus, I keep getting all of these tweets I don't want.

    ReplyDelete